Dual boot hackintosh El Capitan
Completed on an existing Mac OS X System – Real, Hackintosh, or VM
- For this, we can just use the Mac Multi-Tool bash file that I wrote. It will guide you through all the necessary steps.
- After the installer is created, boot into it and install your OS X.
- For best results, use a USB2.0 port directly on the motherboard.
- Use the flash drive (with clover installed) to boot the OS X hard drive.
- Install Clover onto the OS X hard drive, but instead of installing directly to the boot0af in MBR, select the options “Install for UEFI booting only” and “Install Clover in the ESP“. Also make sure the “RC Scripts” are installed.
- Mount the EFI partition of the OS X disk and copy your config.plist and kexts to the appropriate locations. They are the same as they were for the USB installer but located on this partition instead of in an “EFI” folder.
- You can use Mac Multi-Tool to mount your EFI partition.
- Ensure you have the appropriate boot flags and etc for your system and update your nVidia drivers if you are using a series 9 (or Maxwell arch) card.
- Now your OS X part is done.
Dual boot hackintosh Windows 10
Completed on an existing Windows System (I used Windows 7 Ultimate Pro 64bit)
The Clover installation requires an existing Mac OS X System.
At this point, you can use the one you created in the first section.
We need to create a UEFI bootable Windows 10 flash drive with Clover installed. It’s quite a ride.
- Download Rufus if you don’t already have it.
- Create the installer on your 8+GB USB Flash Drive in Rufus using the following settings:
- Device – Your USB Drive
- Partition Scheme – GPT partition scheme for UEFI computer
- File System – FAT32
- Cluster Size – 4096 Bytes (or whatever is default)
- New Volume Label – Will be set by your Win10 iso file
- Check bad blocks – Unchecked
- Quick Format – Checked
- Create bootable disk using – ISO Image (Select your Win10 iso file)
- Create extended label and… – Checked
- Hit start and wait for it to complete
- Navigate to your USB drive and copy bootx64.efi from /efi/boot/ into /efi/microsoft/boot/
- Rename the copied file to “bootmgfw.efi” and rename “cdboot.efi” to “cdboot.bak“
- Directory structure of the flash drive should look like this:
## Key ##
+ = Folder
- = File
- There will be other files/folders there, but those are the ones we are focusing on
Mac OS X Portion
- Run your clover installer on the Win10 USB drive and select these options:
- Install for UEFI booting only
- Install Clover in the ESP (should auto check after the first option is selected)
In the Drives64UEFI Section:
- I did not need to put a new config.plist or any kexts into the EFI partition of the USB
Installing Windows 10
- In BIOS, make sure you turn off the SATA controllers for all hard drives except for the one you intend to install Windows 10 on. Microsoft is still super picky about this and the install will fail otherwise.
- Get to your BIOS boot menu and select your USB drive’s UEFI boot option
- When it loads the clover screen, the last option (or one of them) should be something like “Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from…” – This is the one you need
- If all goes well, it will load the installer, and you can install Windows 10 as normal
- When it’s done installing, let it reboot and do it’s whole “Hi” thing
- Install your drivers/updates etc, reboot, enable all drives in BIOS, and set your Mac OS X drive as your primary. In my boot order screen is was listed as “UEFI OS (P1 blah blah hd stuff)” You want the UEFI one for sure
- Now you’re ready to rock, I would make sure to install clover on another hard drive, or another USB drive in the unfortunate event of a failure of your main drive or corruption of your UEFI partition. Then you’ve got a way to boot into the OS still, just in case.
- In this link, the method I use is basically fusion71au‘s, with iDeepak‘s suggested tweaks
Link to my github page for tools, etc: https://github.com/corpnewt
Link to my pastebin page for other guides, tools, random things: http://pastebin.com/u/corpnewt
Hopefully this helps others. If you have questions on any part of this guide or the tools referenced send me a message or comment here and I’ll see what I can do to help.
This Guide is full walkthrough to how you can Dual Boot your Mac OSX El Capitan and Windows 10 on Hackintosh is very Simpler and Easier .
Using Single HDD / Hard-Drive it is not difficult and it requires no experience and all basic installation steps are mentioned in this Guide
I assumes you have installed Mac OSX El Capitan on your Hard-Drive but if you haven’t installed it then Please follow below Guide and do installation First ::
<strong>1. <a href="http://osxarena.com/2015/10/guide-install-mac-osx-el-capitan-on-hackintosh-pc-vanilla-installation-method/">For Making USB Installer of OSX El Capitan With Clover Bootloader</a> </strong> OR
<strong>2. <a href="http://osxarena.com/2015/10/guide-install-el-capitan-on-hackintosh-pc-with-chameleon-bootloader-vanilla-installation-method/">For Making USB Installer of OSX El Capitan with Chameleon Bootloader</a> </strong> Note :: Read Additional Workaround to Fomat your HDD as Windows Compatible , so you will receive no Error . read at end of this post <strong>Requirement : </strong>
1.At least 8 GB USB Drive
2. Windows 10 ISO Image
3. Latest revision of Rufus Download Here
3. Latest revision of EasyUEFI Download Here
Making or Preparing for Windows10 USB installer
Step 1: Now Run RuFus app and make sure your USB is Selected or Select it and Select Windows10 ISO Image as in ScreenShots Below ::
Step 2 : When Process Complete , Reboot your PC and Boot With USB Drive we prepared .
Install MicroSoft Windows 10
Step 1 : Now Click on Install Now
Step 2 :Choose your Language /Time/KeyBoard Setting and Click Next
Step 3 : Select Custom Install and Look for Unallocated Partition , Choose and Click next , windows will prompt you “this will Create System Partitions ” .
Step 4 : Now there will be Partions are as follow :
1.EFI Partition ( 200 MB)
2.OSX Partition (100 GB or more than what space you provided it )
3.MicroSoft Reserved Partition (620 MB)
4. Now Left Partition (320 GB ) Select it and Click Next and wait Untill Installation Complete
Dual Boot Setting for OSX El Capitan and Windows10
Now you have Windows But you are not able to Boot to OSX El Capitan due to Missing Boot Entry , now we gonna Fix This ::
Step 1: Run EasyUEFI and See which Boot Entries are available , now we gonna add Missing Entry for OSX Bootloader ( Clover Bootloader ).
Disk0 is usually the internal Hard Drive / SSD. In the Boot order section, we can see that only Windows Boot Manager is detected. There is no mention of Clover UEFI anywhere.
Step 2: To solve this problem, click on the Add button (the second button you see on the right).
Step 3: Now Change Type fromWindows BootManager to Linux or Other OS , Type Name in Description Box (Whatever you want Clover Bootloader or Mac OSX Bootloader or Else depends upon you), and Click Browse Button
Step 4: Now Expand EFI => BOOT or CLOVER Folder , Select any of Bootx64.efi or Cloverx64.efi , Both are Clover Bootloader files Choose one or add Entry for Both but one is Enough to Boot Clover then why you waste your time but if you having Issue with and Then Use Another Option.
Note : Remember these things :
1.Bootx64.efi is Bootloader file (this file is from Clover Bootloader )
2.Bootmgfw.efi is Windows Bootloader
3.Cloverx64.efi is Clover Bootloader
initially when we Click on drive to Boot it loads Bootx64.efi First then Required Files to Boot to OS (Operating System) . Every OS Contains it Bootx64.efi , Windows and Linux too . above Bootx64.efi is from CloverBootloader but anyhow your file is got Replaced with particular OS then Bootx64.efi will load that OS only .Clover is capable of running any OS.
But Don’t Worry use Above Bootloader Files to Boot to OS what you want .
Now Everything is done and you have Successfully added Boot Entry for OSX El Capitan in BIOS , Just Select This Entry and Boot to OS you want .
You will See Boot Menu Like This :-
Also You can Set you OS’s Priority . you will see like This :-
Additional Workarounds :
These Following Steps i used to Format my Single HDD to Dual Boot in Mac OSX DiskUtility .
OSX El Capitan DiskUtility is not providing option to set you HDD as Free Space (as we were have in Yosemite or before OSX Version)
i have HDD (500 GB ) 250 GB for OSX El Capitan and 250 GB for Windows 10 .
if you set you HDD first 250GB as Mac OSX and Second 250 GB as FAT32 or ExFat , This Way OSX WIll make Format your HDD as Hybrid GPT , there’s only way to Format you HDD as OSX Journaled to get Full GPT Drive .
Window 10 Can’t be Install on HyBrid GPT Drive you will Receive this Error Continously :-
Solution to This Error :-
1 : I Used Mac OSX Yosemite USB installer and Fomatted My HDD as
First 250GB for OSX formatted as OSX Journaled and Left 250 GB as Free Space .
Free Space will be as Unallocated Space in Window10 Installation Disk Management
2 : You Can use GptFDisk to Convert your Hybrid GPT Drive into Pure or Full GPT then Windows Installation Can Proceed .
Pure/Full GPT Disk will look like :-
Above Screenshot is from Gdisk you can use Partition Manager Softwares on Windows as well as OSX to Determine Drive is Full GPT or Hybrid GPT .
Note : In My Case i was not able to Convert Hybrid GPT Disk using GDisk , receiving too many error then i used solution 1 , which is much Easier .
Things to be Remember Always Before Dual Boot:-
1. Always Install Install OSX First on HDD , Don’t try to Install Windows First .
2.EFI Partition is Required for UEFI Bios System , if EFI is not Present then it not Booting UEFI is using Legacy Boot.
3.Disable Secured or Set it to Other OS in Bios Menu , otherwise you won’t able to Boot from any OS then Windows .
Never try to Install Windows First Because Windows always make first partition as OEM (100MB), Second EFI (100 MB) and Third MSR (620 MB ).
OSX always Requires EFI to be First Partition and of (200 MB) at least of Size , otherwise you will Receive this Error Continuosly . Error will look like this :-
PS: This Guide is not only for Dual Booting With OSX El Capitan with Windows10 , you can Dual Boot any Version of OSX and Windows (UEFI Support ) on Single Hard Drive using This Method .